What better way to bring in the holiday cheer than sharing with others during the season of giving?
Students at the Excel Academy of Roseland, part of the Chicago Public Schools’ Options Network, channeled the spirit of giving back with this year’s “HOLI-Dance”. Staff asked students to bring at least one canned food item for entry to the event. By the end of HOLI-Dance, approximately 75 cans were collected for donation to Mt. Calvary Baptist Church’s food pantry. HOLI-Dance attendees were also entered into a drawing for a free turkey, with student Jakari taking home the traditional Thanksgiving entrée.
Excel Roseland also hosted its annual Thanksgiving feast where students were joined by faculty and staff for a delicious meal, where students were encouraged to share what they are thankful for in their lives.
- “I’m thankful for what the school just did for us! I’m also thankful for the teachers and stuff.” – Winter
- Student Kiara said she’s thankful for, “my family, coming to this school and being able to receive the opportunities I receive, and getting a job recently.” – Kiara
- “I’m thankful for Excel giving me another chance to graduate.” – Abrianna
- “I’m thankful for being home, being free and with my family for the holidays!” – DeMarco
- “I’m thankful for being here. And just having the opportunity to learn.” – Damere
Happy holidays from the Excel Academy of Roseland!